Skip 
Navigation Link
Child Development & Parenting: Infants (0-2)
Resources
Basic Information
Infant Development: How Your Baby Grows and MaturesInfant Parenting: Keeping Your Baby Healthy and HappyInfant Safety: Keeping Your Baby SafeInfant Enrichment: Stimulating Your Baby
More InformationLatest News
Intervening in Infancy Might Help Prevent Some Cases of Autism: StudyKids' Accidental Poisonings Are on the Rise: Protect Your ChildBreastfeeding May Strengthen a Baby's HeartSoothing Sound: Mom's Voice Eases Preemies' PainToppling TVs, Furniture Sending Many Young Children to ERsFor Better Breastfeeding, 'Lactation Consultants' Can HelpWhy Do Black, Hispanic Newborns Face Higher Health Risks?RSV Respiratory Illnesses Rising for Babies, Experts WarnPremature Delivery Raises Odds for Cerebral PalsyKey to Good Sleep for Toddlers Starts in InfancyHigh Curiosity in Infancy Carries Through to Toddler Years1 in 4 Parents Worries Their Young Child Isn't Reaching Milestones: PollC-Section Babies Miss Out on Mom's 'Microbiome,' But Treatment Can Change ThatSharing Bed With Baby: Dangerous, and It Won't Boost 'Attachment,' Study ShowsAHA News: Preterm Babies May Have Higher Stroke Risk as Young AdultsBabies Produce Strong Immune Response to Ward Off COVID-19: StudySkin-to-Skin Contact Could Boost Survival of Very Premature BabiesAre Babies With Seizures Overmedicated?AHA News: A Baby's Gut Bacteria May Predict Future ObesityEven Secondhand Smoke in Pregnancy Might Raise Baby's Breathing RisksBoys Born Very Prematurely May Age Faster as MenGood Bacteria Aren't Present in Baby's Gut Before BirthWhy C-Section Babies May Be at Higher Risk for a Food AllergyBeing Born Even a Bit Early Might Hamper Child's DevelopmentLow Risk of Mom Passing COVID to NewbornNewborns Won't Get COVID Through Infected Mom's Breast Milk: StudyC-Section Babies Have Microbiome Deficit, But Catch Up Over TimeMost Parents Skip Child Car Seats When Using Uber, LyftWhatever the Language, Babies LOVE Baby TalkSpotting Asthma in Your Baby or ToddlerKids' ER Visits for Swallowed Magnets Soared After U.S. Lifted Sales BanTHC From Pot Lingers in Breast Milk for Weeks: StudyBreastfeeding Moms Get Mixed Messages When Baby Has an AllergyDo Touchscreens Make Your Toddler More Distractible?Treating Mom's Postpartum Depression Could Help Baby's Brain, TooChild Car Seat Safety Tip: Skip Puffy Winter CoatsFewer Food Allergies in Kids If Mom Drinks Milk While Breastfeeding: StudyWhy a Newborn's First Breath Is So ImportantParents, Don't Worry if Baby's Sleep Is ErraticBirth Defects Tied to Rise in Lifelong Cancer RiskCOVID Can Harm the Infant HeartMore Kids Injured by Tiny Magnets After Sales Ban Was Lifted: StudyAntibiotics Before Age 2 May Up Odds for Obesity, AllergiesNewborns Are at Low COVID RiskBreastfed Babies May Grow Into Better-Adjusted Teens: StudyNewborn Brain Bleeds Resolve by Age 2Newborn Brains Don't Process Emotions Like AdultsFewer Painful Procedures Could Help Preemies' Brain Development: StudyNurses Can Make the Difference for New Moms' BreastfeedingMicroplastics Are Seeping Out of Baby's Bottle, Study Shows
Links
Related Topics

Child & Adolescent Development: Overview
Childhood Mental Disorders and Illnesses
Parenting
Child Development & Parenting: Early (3-7)
Child Development & Parenting: Middle (8-11)

More Kids Injured by Tiny Magnets After Sales Ban Was Lifted: Study

HealthDay News
by By Alan Mozes HealthDay Reporter
Updated: Nov 24th 2020

new article illustration


TUESDAY, Nov. 24, 2020 (HealthDay News) -- Small, powerful magnets in toys like Buckyballs building sets and jewelry kits are causing an alarming number of serious pediatric injuries in the United States, new research warns.

Analyzing national data, researchers found an 80% rise in these injuries to children from 2016 to 2019, following the repeal of a sales ban on the magnets by a federal court.

When these small rare earth magnets are swallowed, the potential for serious gastrointestinal injury is high, noted study lead author Dr. Michael Flaherty.

Cases are popping up all over the United States, according to a recent report from NBC News. In Indiana, a 4-year-old boy was rushed to surgery after swallowing 27 magnetized balls; one 2-year-old girl in Illinois needed her appendix removed in December after swallowing five of the balls; and in 2018, a Wisconsin 4-year-old needed part of his colon, intestine and appendix removed after swallowing 13 magnetic balls, the network reported.

More recently, 6-year-old Cameron Moreau, of New Jersey, landed in the hospital with eight perforations to his colon after swallowing magnets from a toy he got for his birthday. Two of the holes were so close together surgeons had to remove a portion of the colon, NBC News said.

The magnets are made of neodymium, said Flaherty, a pediatric critical care physician at MassGeneral Hospital for Children in Boston.

The magnets come in circular, rectangular, cylindrical or cubed form, and range from BB-pellet size to roughly 0.10 to 0.25 inches (3 to 6 mm).

They're also "five to 10 times more powerful than traditional ferrite magnets," said Flaherty, "and were initially intended for commercial applications."

But over time they've come to be included in a wide variety of "entertainment products," Flaherty noted. "Many products now carry warnings to keep away from children, but the small size of the magnets and their inclusion in sets composed of many small magnets make them easily accessible to young children, even if purchased by an adult."

The harm can be considerable when a child ingests two of these magnets, or a magnet with another metal object, Flaherty explained. "This can lead to bowel walls becoming attached and kinked, leading to catastrophic bowel injury and/or death," he said.

In 2012, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) took steps to limit their sale with voluntary recalls and safety standards. That effort culminated with a prohibition in 2014. But in 2016 a federal court determined that the commission had overstepped its bounds, and the ban was overturned.

For this study, Flaherty and his colleagues reviewed almost 37,000 emergency department visits that took place between 2009 and 2019 by kids under 18 years of age who had swallowed an object. Data was compiled from the U.S. National Electronic Injury Surveillance System.

Just over 1,400 of the visits involved magnet ingestion or inhalation, with about 850 occurring in children younger than 6 years of age. (All magnet ingestions were included; rare earth magnets could not be separated out.)

The investigators found that between 2012 and 2016 -- when protection efforts were underway -- pediatric emergency department visits stemming from magnet ingestions dropped significantly (from 3.58 per 100,000 persons to 2.83 per 100,000). But from 2016 to 2019 -- after the protections were thrown out of court -- magnet ingestions jumped to 5.16 per 100,000, an increase of more than 80%.

"Products with [small rare earth magnets] really should not be in any home with children under 14," Flaherty said. "The significant reduction in ER visits associated with the CPSC's initial ban indicate that further federal action is necessary, and that industry standards should be revisited."

His advice: "As the holiday season approaches, product-related hazards such as these magnets become even more of an important issue. Parents should always read labels carefully before buying any toys or sets for their children or home, to ensure they are age appropriate. And consult the CPSC website to check on recent toy recalls."

Parents must be vigilant, another expert agreed.

"The problem is that a small child is a natural detective, always discovering and looking at things," said Anthony Green, chief advocacy and network officer for Safe Kids Worldwide in Washington, D.C.

"And the tools of investigation for a child are their fingers and their mouth," Green said. "It can be button batteries, liquid laundry packets, medications that look like candy, or rare earth magnets. And that issue has been aggravated by COVID-19, where everyone's at home and parents are trying to juggle both caregiving and work."

In the absence of a ban, Safe Kids is trying to promote awareness of the issue, he said. Meanwhile, Green added, "what a parent can and should do is really survey their house, and identify where children go in the house, to look for dangers that could expose a child to these magnets and serious injury."

The study was published in the Nov. 24 issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association.

More information

There's more on magnet safety at the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.

SOURCES: Michael R. Flaherty, DO, pediatric critical care physician, division of pediatric critical care medicine, MassGeneral Hospital for Children, Boston; Anthony Green, chief advocacy and network officer, Safe Kids Worldwide, Washington, D.C.; NBC News; Journal of the American Medical Association, Nov. 24, 2020